AREAS OF FINANCIAL EXPERTISE IN THE FINANCIAL SERVICES SECTOR
The following are the principal areas of expertise in various financial services matters and, in particular, potential candidates for Lord Mayor and Sheriff are invited to contact the nominated Livery Company Representative for the relevant area of expertise. Although only one contact name may be given, other Representatives may be involved. The nominated contact will involve the other Representatives, as required.
1. Accountancy and Finance.
- Audit and Assurance.
- Ethics and Fraud.
- Financial reporting, Insolvency.
- International capacity building in developed and developing nations.
- Public sector financial management.
- SMEs, business strategy and tax issues.
- Business sustainability including valuing natural capital.
- Voluntary sector/Charity sector.
- Capital markets, private equity, hedge funds and SME finance.
- Corporate finance, acquisitions and mergers.
- Finance for early stage and technology ventures.
- Finance innovation Lab looking at the future of audit and other issues.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales.
David Illingworth email@example.com
or or firstname.lastname@example.org
- International: the UK’s leading role in the setting of international actuarial standards (such as European Embedded Value and Market-Consistent Embedded Values); the valuation of financial instruments under International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Pension Fund financial management
- Insurance of all risks, domestic and international, their pricing, provisioning, projections, reinsurance and capital needs.
- Enterprise Risk Management.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of Actuaries
Adrian Waddingham CBE email@example.com
020 7776 3880
- The comparative benefits of arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution.
- Advice and support in the promotion of UK financial services in London, Edinburgh and other financial centres in the UK as the jurisdiction of choice for commercial disputes, including the courts, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution.
- The benefit of contractual arbitration and dispute resolution provisions, especially in international contracts for insurance and reinsurance, shipping, brokerage and commodities trading and all forms of commercial dispute.
- The high international standards of training and practice of conflict management and dispute resolution available in London and elsewhere in the UK.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of Arbitrators
Margaret Bickford-Smith QC firstname.lastname@example.org
020 8549 1846
4. Banking, Securities, and Investments
- Retail, Commercial, Corporate, and Investment Banking: products, operations, and regulation.
- Personal and Commercial Finance and Leasing.
- Securities Markets: instruments, dealing, clearing, and custody.
- Institutional Investment Management, Retail Fund Management, Wealth Management, and Fund Administration.
- Financial Literacy.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of International Bankers
Mark Sismey-Durrant email@example.com
020 7374 0212
5. Corporate Governance
- Integrity and ethical standards.
- Company secretarial practice.
- Good company reporting.
- Board Performance.
- Risk and compliance.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators
Patricia Day firstname.lastname@example.org
020 7726 2955
6. Insurance and Regulation
- The UK’s leading role in insurance and reinsurance.
- Risk Management and general insurance underwriting, terrorism insurance and broking..
- Claims management and loss adjusting.
- Climate change and the impact on natural catastrophe insurance; and UK flood and insurance availability.
- Convergence of capital markets and (re)insurance markets.
- EU developments in insurance.
- Personal financial advice, pensions, life insurance and longevity.
- Cyber security and the ability to regulate the markets by tracing trades.
- Market-consistent Management Information for efficient regulation.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of Insurers
Terry Masters email@example.com
020 7600 4006
7. Information Technology
- Information assurance and cyber-security (systemic stability).
- IT education: the need to ensure a reliable supply of qualified IT systems users and developers.
- IT as a business, to encourage enterprise in London’s public and private capital markets and enable value through effective service delivery.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of Information Technologists
Gus Machado firstname.lastname@example.org
020 7600 1992
- The stability of the internationally recognised legal system of the UK
- The level of legal expertise available in the City.
- The sophistication of the Legal market in the City.
- The role of the City of London Solicitors’ Company/City of London Law Society and its links with The Law Society and the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of Solicitors of the City of London
Ed Parker email@example.com
020 72329 2173
9. Management Consultancy
- Business and organisational change in companies, governmental bodies and NGOs.
- Strategic planning and corporate development.
- Governance and risk management improvement
- Management best practice – trends and current thinking.
- Organisational Planning and implementation.
- Personnel advice and services including Search & Selection and Interim Management.
- Systems and Process Analysis, Design and implementation.
- Mentoring and coaching: knowledge transfer.
- Business process outsourcing/offshoring.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of Management Consultants
Edward Sankey E.J.Sankey@dial.pipex.com
020 7248 2391
- Developing profitable business strategies.
- Building and managing valuable brands for both shareholders and other stakeholders.
- Describing, locating and engaging with relevant target audiences-quantitative and qualitative research.
- Creating innovation strategies and products to meet consumer and business needs.
- Designing and delivering targeted communications-advertising, social media, public and investor relations etc.
- Design-packaging, corporate identities, logos etc.
- Marketing for good-CSR, third sector marketing, “good causes”, sponsorship etc.
- Sales strategies, category management and trading strategies.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of Marketors
Andrew Marsden firstname.lastname@example.org
020 7796 2045
- Tax developments both in the UK, and in the international arena from bodies such as the G20, the EU and the OECD
- Current live issues including the impact of “BREXIT” on cross border structures, Base Erosion and Profit Shifting, reform of the UK’s corporation tax loss relief rules, the VAT place of supply rules and enhanced HMRC powers.
- The UK Tax Code and the network of Double Tax Treaties.
- Taxation in relation to the UK’s pension freedoms.
- Taxation of cross border secondees.
Contact The Worshipful Company of Tax Advisers
Morag Loader email@example.com
12. International Trade
- Brokers – people who trade services.
- Traders - people who trade tangible goods and products.
- Financial and professional services – supporting international business.
Contact: The Worshipful Company of World Traders
Mark Hardy firstname.lastname@example.org
- The influence of UK professional qualifications and professional institutions on worldwide professional education and standards.
- UK professionals volunteering to provide short term continuing professional education overseas.
Contact: The FSG Secretary
Michael Chitty email@example.com