THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS IN ENGLAND AND WALES
Members of ICAEW, the UK’s leading professional body for Chartered Accountants provide professional advice on a wide range of business, finance and professional issues in both the private and public sectors and in the charitable sector too (e.g. audit, tax, financial reporting, business strategy).
As a Chartered body, ICAEW is committed to act in the public interest as well as for its members. ICAEW invests significantly in technical thought leadership programmes on issues relevant to the profession, for example anti-money-laundering, whistleblowing, corporate governance, sustainability including natural capital, skills, economic growth. There is significant investment in bring together stakeholders with a wide range of perspectives and on preparing the profession to meet the challenges of the future as well as those of today.
ICAEW is also committed to supporting and encouraging access to the profession (e.g. through Access Accountancy), diversity in the profession (e.g. through Women in Leadership) and personal finance education.
Innovate here; Succeed anywhere
ICAEW is internationally-renowned for its thought leadership across accounting, finance and business, and ICAEW Chartered Accountants hold senior positions in business and in the professional firms. Our members were among the founders of the Big 4 and the model that the Big 4 has taken has been successfully exported all over the world.
Among our innovative work is
- Business Futures – thought leadership on the changing nature of business
- Tomorrow’s Practice – on the future of the accounting profession adapting to a digital world.
- New thinking on how to make Corporate Governance work better
- Work on the public sector finances, looking at how a CFO in government, dealing with income and expenditure would help control the national finances
- Work on cybersecurity for accountants and business
- Sustainable decision-making: - we established the Natural Capital Coaltion which is developing a way for businesses to measure their impact on nature.
- Our Audit Futures programme is gaining international recognition for its work on rethinking audit
- The Finance Innovation Lab, which we started with WWF-UK, and which became an independent organisation this year, looks at developing positive change in the financial system.
Support for new businesses
We also support new businesses, which are so crucial to the UK economy through our Business Advice Service, offering SMEs and growing businesses a free initial advice session; through an SME funding guide, and through a number of start-up programmes like Pitch to Rich and The Pitch.
ICAEW Chartered Accountants advise an estimated 1.5 million businesses in the UK alone – and many of the largest. They are the number one business adviser in the UK. Over half our members work in business directly, many as Chief Executive Officers and Finance Directors.
- 83 of the FTSE 100 firms have an ICAEW Chartered Accountant on the Board.
- The UK profession numbers 300,000 members in the UK, with a further 120,000 members working further afield. Accounting firms went global some time ago and now contribute £1,489m to exports (end 2013 – net surplus of £522m) (ONS, via TheCityUK). The audit and accountancy sector, plus tax is worth around £17.2 billion in the UK (2014)
- Accountants are the largest private sector graduate employers in the UK, and they are among the UK’s most admired employers.
- 97% of the top global brands or their parent companies employ ICAEW Chartered Accountants.
- You can work all over the world with the ICAEW Chartered Accountant qualification (ACA) and gain brand recognition, networking and training through our international group, Chartered Accountants Worldwide. We have reciprocal membership agreements with fellow chartered accountant bodies in Australia, Botswana Canada, Hong Kong , Ireland, New Zealand , Scotland, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.
- You can train for our qualification in Bangladesh, China, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Greece, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Middle East, Pakistan, Romania, Russian, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.
Facts and Figures in the UK and beyond
ICAEW has more than 144,000 members in over 160 countries. It is headquartered in London with staff in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, Dubai, Brussels and Nicosia. Within the UK, ICAEW members support a vibrant network of regional groups and societies. Outside the UK, the number of member groups is growing which pays testament to the importance of membership wherever members may live or work. ICAEW promotes high quality global standards in financial reporting, auditing and ethics.
ICAEW has undertaken professional capacity-building work in Bangladesh, Botswana, Cambodia, Croatia, Ghana, Jordan, Kenya, Malawi, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Philippines, Samoa, Serbia, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Zambia. This includes new professional qualifications and audit quality monitoring work.
We also work with other professional accountancy bodies through the Global Accounting Alliance, Chartered Accountants Worldwide, and the Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies.
ICAEW is an active member of the International Federation of Accountants, the Fédération des Experts Comptables Européens (the voice of the profession in the EU), the Confederation of Asian and Pacific Accountants, the Pan African Federation of Accountants and the ASEAN Federation of Accountants.
Contact: David Illingworth at email@example.com